Sunday 5 June 2011

How difficult is it to change the power window regulator in a BMW 3 series? ?

I have a 2003 BMW 325i, and the driver door power window is messing up. From what I%26#039;ve read, I%26#039;m assuming that it%26#039;s the regulator rather than the motor as the window will still go up and down. However, it sticks about halfway up, then it%26#039;ll slowly creep up after I hit the button again.





I%26#039;ve priced the regulators at about $100 at Autozone, and I%26#039;m wondering how difficult it is to %26quot;DIY%26quot; if I don%26#039;t want to spend the $200-$300 to have a mechanic change it.





Also, is there an easy way to know if it is actually the regulator and not the motor or a combination of both that is causing this problem?





Thanks!





Oh, FYI, I have very little experience with doing my own maintenance. I%26#039;ve replaced a few parts like oil pumps and starters on older American made cars in the past, but I am definitely not a pro.|||Replacing a window regulator is one of those precious few jobs that I will not do for any amount of money.





It can be a royal pain in the butt. It is annoying as all heck, painful at times, and in general, very frustrating on many cars if you don%26#039;t have a good set of tools, and even if you do have a good set of tools at times.





The process is quite simple. Anyone could do it, really, if it was all out on a table...





But that ain%26#039;t where it is.





Now be careful with the mechanic on that BMW, and be careful which regulators you get. Make sure to price them at the dealer as well, as they might not be that much more. If that door panel isn%26#039;t carefully removed, and the weather seal not put back in properly, you can have problems.





If you try to slap some substandard universal fit regulator that just happens to say it fits your BMW in there, it will be nothing but problems. It%26#039;s hard enough to get a good one working right.





Check the dealer before you do it, then price it elsewhere.





I don%26#039;t do it for a job, but I am a trained mechanic. I%26#039;ve done my own work on every car I%26#039;ve ever owned, and trained to make sure I could do it all right. I%26#039;m not by any means an expert, but let%26#039;s just say I%26#039;ve turned wrenches around the world, even helping prep rally vehicles in exotic locations.





And I don%26#039;t bother with window regulators.





On some cars, they are enough to drive you flat out nuts. Hey, that BMW may well be easy. I can%26#039;t tell you. I have only done a few, and I didn%26#039;t like it one bit.