Friday 16 September 2011

93 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1l v6 convirtable questions help please!?

Hi I recently bought a 93 pontiac sunbird as my first car as I am only 15 turning 16 tomorrow from an auction for only $300. It runs and drives but obviously needs work to go for that cheap. I've fixed alot of stuff on the car already minor problems to be honest door hinges, window motors small stuff like that and spent only around $50 so far. Here is a list of my problems I need to tackle before winter.



1.Now I have noticed that as it is getting colder the car takes 4-5 seconds to start holding the key on the start position is this normal or could my alternator or starter or something spark plugs etc be going out? -It is NOT the battery as I just bought a new one and had it tested at autozone works fine-



2.When I got the car I found out it had to be started with a screwdriver and did not come with keys. This is a problem cause I want to put 2 12%26quot; subwoofers and an amp in my trunk but I can't lock my doors with no key to get in how can I get a key -AT LEAST- for my doors so I can lock them and how much would it probly cost?



3.I'm wanting to upgrade my radio cause the RCA cables from the amplifier can't hook to the back of a stock radio. I'm looking for a aftermarket stereo under $90 where I can controll the fade and bass/treble, has rca plug ins, and has 4 channels but can't find any with all that stuff in one.



4.I'm only 15/16 and I don't know a lot about maintaining a car it can be fun but scary if you don't know what you are doing like me lol. I am just curious besides putting gas in it and changing the oil every 2-3 months what else do I need to do to maintain it especially before the winter time will I need a tune up and like a trans flush or anything or what cause I'm not sure on all of it.



5.Last but not least the car is leaking slight amounts of oil when running I'm just wondering when i take out the dipstick where should the oil be up to just so I know it has enough in it still so the engine don't seize or catch on fire or something lol.



I know I just asked a LOT of questions but please help me out I'll give 5 stars and a great thank you to whoever can answer these 5 questions for me thank you SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
93 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1l v6 convirtable questions help please!?
Ok I'll answer these in order as best as I can.



1. I would do a tune-up on it for it taking awhile to start. Try putting in new spark plugs in. Get acdelco, or ngk. Either just get the copper cheap ones, or the expensive iridiums. Don't use platinums in these motors. Change the spark wires. Just the cheap ones will work fine. Change the oil with a 5w-30 good quality oil. Check your air filter, and see if it needs replacing. Change it if it does. Buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and dump it in the gas tank. Also change the fuel filter. Its located right behind the gas tank under the car. If you are pretty good at taking stuff apart, and putting it back together. I would take off the throttle body, and clean all the passages, and IAC valve. While your doing all of this it wouldn't hurt to check the O2 sensor, coolant, and drop the transmission pan, and do a filter and fluid change.



2. I would go to a junkyard, and see if they have the ignition switch with a key, and if they happen to have all the outside locks with a key. That would be the cheapest to get the locks, and keys. You can try www.car-part.com. You could buy them new, but would prolly be expensive. You might also be able to get a locksmith to make some keys for it. I'm not sure on that one though.



3. Any decent cd player should have all of the things your wanting. Usually walmart has some decent cd players for cheap with all that you listed. Also try www.onlinecarstereo.com. They have tons of cd players listed for good prices.



4.I think I covered all of this in the first answer.



5. The dipstick should have marks on it where the oil should be up to. It will have a fill mark if it needs oil. I would get an old rag, and wipe all the oil, and grime off of all the engine, and surrounding areas. The see if you can tell where the oil is leaking from. Fix the leak, and you won't have to worry about it anymore. A common oil leak for these engines are the oil pump drive shaft o-ring.



Now that I've covered all of that. You should sign up at www.v6z24.com Its a forum for cavaliers/sunbirds with the v6. They have tons of information on that site. They also have a nice how-to link at the top of the page that will help with a some of your questions. Just register, and introduce yourself.