Friday 16 September 2011

Should I keep my car?

I have a 1995 3000GT non-turbo which I like a lot. I think it's one of the best body styles and It handles well. I bought it for $2,400 about 4 months ago, and don't know if I should spend the money to fix the things it needs/will need or sell it and get something else.



The Bads:

-125,000+ miles

-unknown if timing belt has ever been changed

-paint very faded on hood and spoiler area

-small oil leak near valve cover, and burns very little oil

-exterior window seals wore out, don't know how to replace

-minor body damage

-gets an average of 19mpg, good or bad?

-very hard to unlock doors, have to move the key just right and only the driver door and rear door will unlock

-one fog light is out, don't know how to replace



The Goods:

-I really like the car

-engine and transmission sound and handle good

-almost brand new tires

-I have replaced corner lights, window motors, clutch, starter, alternator and a few lights

-never been wrecked

-I only pay liability insurance which is $45 a mo
Should I keep my car?
if it were my car i would definately keep it. i'm not a big fan of foreign but i do love the 3000gt. the problems you have are completely normal and worth the fix. timing belt and paint could cost you a bit. but the rest is easilyy done with a repair manual from autozone(15$). parts are evrywhere, not to mention the body kits turbos, etc........ usually you run into electricle trouble, cpu,harness,wiring, etc........but a kick butt import if you ask me!
Should I keep my car?
I'd keep it... those are alll easy fixes or thing that aren't that important.
Ouch! Sounds bad, well if i was you i'd get rid of the car.

Yeah sure you love it but 19 mpg thats horrible with gas prices going up to 4.00 dollars!



Honestly get rid of it.
Ouch. That hurts.

It might be dangerous.



Seriously, get rid of it.
Looks lie most of your bads are just cosmetics. The door seals can be an annoyance. The MPG is to low get that checked out and see what is costs to get the engine management system up to par. Then make a decision. Oh and if you decide to keep the car get that t belt changed no mater what. Just knowing you changed it and when you changed it give you peace of mind.